Posted in General, tagged Alberta Stone, architecture, calgary stone, Canada Stone, canadian Stone, DIY, edmonton stone, fireplace, how to install stone, interior stone, kodiak mountain, Lethbridge Stone, natural, natural stone, real stone, renovate, stone, stone Calgary, stone question, stoned, thin stone, Tips on stone, veneered stone on March 8, 2013|
Leave a Comment »
I have been considering for quite some time to refinish my fireplace. I have tile on there now and would like to go with Mountain Valley Blend Natural Stone from Kodiak Mountain Stone . I am concerned that natural stone is too heavy and I have to reinforce my main floor; is this true?
Although Natural Stone is heavier than tiles or manufactured stone it is a great alternative. Many people think that Natural Sone is much heavier than the alternatives; but now with thin cut Veneer stone from suppliers such as Kodiak Mountain Stone; weights are much less than traditionally thought. It used to be that solid full bed stone was the only thing you could install to give you a natural look; but with advances in stone technology; Natural Stone has been cut thinner and thinner and can be installed in the same manor as manufactured stone with it being actual Stone.
Each case is different depending on how much stone is being applied and the over all size and weight of the project. There is also the preparation to consider for weight including the weight of a scratch coat and mortar and any other accessories added. Surface preparation is always key including waterproofing(on exterior applications) as well as making sure the project can hold additional weights(floors walls etc).
Structural integrity should always be considered in any stone project and especially on older houses. A rule of thumb with natural stone is about 2.5 times the weight of manufactured products(which is about 10 lbs/ sq ft). We at Kodiak Mountain Stone have a broad range of natural thin veneer stone for your interior or exterior products. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Frequently Asked Questions, tagged artificial stone, Calgary, calgary stone, FAQ, home, House, Kodiak Mountain Stone, lethbridge, Lethbridge Stone, manufactured, manufactured stone, manufactured stone vs natural stone, natural, natural stone, rock, siding, stone, veneer, why manufactured stone, why natural stone on February 26, 2013|
Leave a Comment »
Question: What are the differences between the natural stone and the manufactured stone products that Kodiak Mountain Stone offers?
Natural Stone vs. Manufactured Stone
Kodiak Mountain Stone, Juniper Ridge Natural Stone fireplace
Kodiak Mountain Stone Manufactured Stone Fireplace
Both natural stone and manufactured stone are used to create lasting, beautiful projects. Kodiak Mountain Stone has a great selection of each and our staff can assist in helping make a decision. In the end, personal tase and preference may be the deciding factor in choosing natural vs. manufactured stone, but there are a few things to take into consideration when making your choice:
- Cost: In most cases, manufactured stone costs less than natural stone to purchase and install. With the manufactured stone products that Kodiak Mountain Stone supplies, they are typically very similar in price from one profile to the next.
- Weight: Manufactured stone weighs less than natural stone (approx. 10-12 lbs per square foot). This provides an advantage in the ease and cost of installation.
- Easy to Install: Manufactured stone is man-made and thus is designed for the ease of installation.
- Coloring: Kodiak Mountain Stone manufactured stone is colored all the way throughout the stone. This means if a stone is damaged or chipped, the coloring on the inside of the stone will match what is seen on the exterior of the stone.
Kodiak Mountain Stone supplies natural stone that is available in full-set or veneer. Our most popular natural stone styles that we sell are the veneered stones. Natural stone veneer is real stone that is either collected (i.e. fieldstone) or is quarried and the stone is then cut to a consistent thickness for use as a veneer.
- Strength: Natural stone is strong and durable. There is a misconception that all natural stone can be used in all climates. Like manufactured stone, some natural stone products (i.e. certain sandstones) need testing done to ensure they will stand up to the climate they are being used in. With our stores in Calgary and Lethbridge, Alberta we know our customers will face harsh weather conditions. Natural stone that we sell at Kodiak Mountain Stone will stand up to these conditions
- Selection: Kodiak Mountain Stone offers a variety of natural stone products that are brought in from quarries all throughout North America. Our selection of natural stone is very good and growing all of the time.
- Price: Natural stone prices vary due to many factors. At Kodiak Mountain Stone we have many natural stone profiles that are close to the same pricing as manufactured stone. However, natural stone typically costs more than manufactured stone, both for product and installation.
Whether you are looking for manufactured or natural stone, Kodiak Mountain Stone will have what you are looking for. We will help you to find the right product for an elegant, authentic and durable final project that you will be proud of. There are additional pros and cons to each product beyond what is listed here. Our intent is to help you become more informed in making a choice. Please comment and share any knowledge that you may have that would help our customers in making their decision.
Read Full Post »